Thursday, January 5, 2012

25DEC2011

For the first time in my adult life, "Santa Claus" had not visited my apartment, and the stocking I'd hung on the kitchen stove (it's the hottest place in the house, no? *wink*) was not filled with treats...

And yet, there wasn't any yelling and screaming, either, as has ALWAYS been traditional at my family home. ;) I have to admit, though it was certainly tough being away from home for the first time since, well, EVER, it was also quite peaceful... I woke up, ate a BIG breakfast, and then went for a hike. Nonetheless, I did indulge some child-like impulses: I watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", one of my favorite ol' movies. :)



When I was a little kid, and yet NOT too young for excessive sarcasm, I used to tease my pseudo-step-father Dave that he was the Grinch and that our dog, Indie, was like Max from the cartoon... They do bear a STARTLING resemblance, except for the fact that Dave isn't actually green-skinned... LOL! *wink*

Oh, and another of our jokes (that Dave HIMSELF endorsed) was that he also bore a striking resemblance to Ebenezer Scrooge from “A Christmas Carol”… we both indulged this idea to the point where he would sign the cards on my Christmas gifts “BAH!…HUMBUG!!!” Either that, or “Are there no prisons?!? Are there no workhouses?!?” Our little private joke... Ah, I do miss those days. And, all evidence to the contrary, I’m NOT even being sarcastic!

Thus, in Dave’s honor, I shall also watch “Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol”, an antiquated version that nonetheless remains the BEST interpretation of Dickens’ original script. ;) Undoubtedly, he would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment